Coordinator, Writing in the Disciplines
University Writing Program
2215 Turlington Hall
PO Box 112020
Gainesville, FL 32611-2020
- Ph.D., Linguistics, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 1998
- MAT, English as a Second Language, School for International Training, Brattleboro, VT, 1991
- BA, Language, Culture, and Society, New College, Sarasota, FL, 1987
- ENC 3254: Writing in the Disciplines (professional writing in the disciplines, strategic communication, landscape architecture)
- ENC 3246: Professional Communication for Engineers
- ENC 3453: Writing in the Health Professions
- ENC 3464: Writing in the Social Sciences
- ENC 3466: Writing in Communication Sciences
- ENC 3459: Writing in the Medical Sciences
- ENC 5319: Writing for Scholarly Communication
- Information Literacy – what are “best practices” for helping students attain higher levels of ability to filter, control, and manipulate information?
- Literacy Practices of Health Practitioners – what do practicing clinicians really do in terms of professional literacy work?
- Writing Science – what processes can increase a researcher’s publishing productivity?
- Discourse Linguistics – (a long standing interest) – what language and cognitive structures govern language output in connected text/speech?
- Applied Linguistics – how does theoretical knowledge translate into practice?
Best Writing Advice
Create expertise one paragraph at a time